Saturday, September 15, 2018

Back to SPARC


Man proposes, God disposes.

I planned to finish the work on the 40p emulation, but due to some turbulences had absolutely no chance to work on QEMU since last December.  But it looks like I may have some time for QEMU again.

Now, while running AIX under QEMU has been a nice brain and finger exercise, looking at my mail box and the comments of this blog, I think the people are more interested in Solaris than in AIX, so I plan to dig out my Ultra-1 sun4u prototype from 2012, adapt it to the current QEMU object model and make it public (no ETA though).

/ Stay tuned

9 comments:

Unknown said...

hi, will you release the aix part? I'm really interested in helping. I've been working on aix for a long time and I have a lot of experience on the system.

jermar said...

Hi Artyom, congrats for your recent AIX emulation achievement. If you ever run out of inspiration for your future QEMU projects, HelenOS could really make use of a prospective ia64-softmmu emulating the Ski simulator machine :-)

Andrey ``Bass'' Shcheglov said...

Артём, если (вдруг) нужно будет протестировать поведение гостевой ОС на реальном железе -- обращайтесь. У меня сохранилось несколько машин sun4u в рабочем состоянии.

atar said...

@Marco Ancillotti, I will release it, but it needs some cleaning up before. Also it won't make it into the upstream qemu because they have chosen OpenBIOS, not OFW. Do you know any software unique to AIX? Looks like everything is backported to Linux anyway.

atar said...

@Jakub Jermář, thanks! :-) Actually I've been considering ia64 (and HPUX) as a next target. It looks more promising than AIX in sense of migration projects. But at the moment I'm focusing on Ultra-1/2.

atar said...

@Andrey Shcheglov, спасибо. Я думал Вам интересней sun4v?

Andrey ``Bass'' Shcheglov said...

@atar Артём, sun4v "в железе", увы, нет =)

Unknown said...

> @Marco Ancillotti, I will release it, but it needs some cleaning up before. Also it
> won't make it into the upstream qemu because they have chosen OpenBIOS, not OFW. Do
> you know any software unique to AIX? Looks like everything is backported to Linux
> anyway.

@atar , I've a lot of sw that works only on aix , I've work on aix for a lot of time so I have a large library of software that I develop for myself.

Unknown said...

Are you going to do a write up on how to install AIX on QEMU? I'd really like to! Thanks for all your hard work!