Sunday, December 2, 2018

Meanwhiile in sun4m

Debugging when a program does something unexpected is easy. You just have to find the place where it starts doing it and find out the reason.

In my case though, the problem is that Solaris doesn't change the color map. But where and when is it supposed to update it? Tricky.

And then I thought: why don't I try it under sun4m? And tell you what. I've got a good and a bad news. The good news is that the RAMDAC emulation does work ok:

cg6 under sun4m
The bad news is that the reason why it doesn't perform somewhere near it when running on a sun4u is still to be found. My current educated guess is that it has to do with the interrupt processing...

Don't know yet what I'm going to attack next: fix the interrupts under sun4u, or improve some missing graphic features under sun4m. The latter has an advantage of producing some nice or ugly screen shots, and everyone likes screen shots. :-)

No comments: